Monday 30 June 2014

Favourites And Fundraising

I’ve had an exciting day last week choosing my favourite 20 etched pictures to make larger for the exhibition from the 162 pictures created in the Malawian workshops. It was a lot harder than I thought it would be because there were so many great pictures created.

My criteria was to enlarge only one version of each base photo (there were 30 original base photos, so 10 wouldn’t be represented), and I wanted to include pictures from each workshop I’d taught.

After a few false starts, I came up with a system that worked. I chose my favourite 2 pictures from each base photo, and lined them up according to which workshop they had been created at. I then placed my absolute favourites at the front of the line, and chose the rest according to which was my favourite from the various themes (eg. football, houses. animals).

The system worked well and I’m really pleased with the diversity and artistic merit of the photographs I chose. I only made one change to the group afterwards, because while I was scanning the pictures in, I saw a picture that lifted my spirits so much I had to include it. It’s not the best executed or the most original idea, but there is an energy about it, and it always makes me smile when I see it.




 
One of the workshops I’m teaching in Scotland is available to anyone during the Auchtermuchty Festival on the 2nd August 1pm at the community centre. I’d be delighted if you could come along and etch your own picture for the project. The workshops take about 2½ hours and I’m afraid there will have to be a very small charge to cover the cost of hiring the hall. Let me know if you’re interested and I’ll add your name to the list.

Fundraising

So far we have raised over £1,700 for I Love Scolawi! Wow. Well done everybody!

This is a fantastic amount and I’d like to thank each and every one of you for your support in buying raffle tickets, coming to fundraising events, and your generous donations.

Here are a few of the fundraising events still to come:

Muchty Hafla – 12th July, Auchtermuchty Church Hall

Violet Shears has very kindly organised a hafla for next weekend.
 
 
 
Hafla means party; and this is a gathering of women dancing together for fun. I’ve never been to one, and am really looking forward to finding out more about it. A friend told me that she went to the last hafla that Violet organised with no idea what to expect, and she had a fantastic time, so it should be a great night out.

There will be dancing, drumming, singing and there will be various stalls as well. If you’d like to have an unusual night out doing something completely different then let me know and I can reserve tickets for you.

Collection tin in Café Alfresco, Glenrothes

I’d like to give a huge shout out to Café Alfresco, (situated just outside Rothes Hall in Glenrothes), who have offered to raise funds through their collection tin for I love Scolawi. Thank you so much Alan and Claude, I really appreciate it.

Art Raffle

There are only a few days left before the art raffle is drawn. Among the many fantastic prizes up for grabs is the original hand etched photograph I created to promote I Love Scolawi; and original artwork by many of our local artists including Victoria Scrivener Anderson and Lorraine McKendrick.

You’ve got to be in it to win it, so if you haven’t bought your tickets yet then please use Paypal’s donate button on the right hand side of my blog to buy some asap! All donating artists will be receive five free tickets as a thank you.

Artist’s quiz
 
You might remember that I ran a ‘guess the artist’ quiz recently to raise funds. The quiz was won by Annie Gibson who got an amazing 50/50 right. Well done Annie! She told me last week that she plans to use the prize money towards buying some art or craft. This is an idea I thoroughly approve of, and I hope you find something that lifts your spirits whenever you see it Annie.

The answers to the artist’s quiz can be viewed at http://ilovescolwai.blogspot.co.uk/2014/06/quiz-answers_30.html
Other planned fundraising events are:
  • a Bingo Tea in early September that my friend Betty has very kindly offered to organise
  • an informal slideshow evening in august displaying the photographs I took in Malawi, and talking about my experiences there
  • a stall at the St Serf’s Market during the Auchtermuchty Festival
  • a crowd funding campaign to cover the workshop and exhibition costs

So, still lots to do, and lots to look forward to. At some point I’ve got to take some time out to etch some pictures myself which I’m really looking forward to.

No comments:

Post a Comment